Certificate IV in Massage Therapy (HLT42015)
This course provides the student with the confidence and skills to deliver a therapuetic and relaxing massage. It introduces them to basic study in anatomy and physiology, professional and clinical practice and the knowledge and skills to apply fundamental tactile therapy techniques and provide treatment.
Students will attend regular practical classes to literally gain the hands on skills and knowledge required, and have the option of accessing theory materials in class or via flexible learning modes. Due to the nature of the qualification, and tactile skills to be developed, this course cannot be completed 100% online.
This qualification reflects the role of massage therapists who provide general health maintenance treatments. Practitioners may be self-employed or work within a larger health service, such as :
- within a clinic or in their own clinic
- in an aged care facility
- in a health service
- in a spa facility or
- in a palliative care facility or hospital.
Units covered in this course include:
- CHCCOM006 Establish and manage client relationships
- CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
- CHCLEG003 Manage legal and ethical compliance
- HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
- HLTAID003 Provide first aid
- HLTINF004 Manage the control of infection
- HLTMSG001 Develop massage practice
- HLTMSG002 Assess client massage needs
- HLTMSG004 Provide massage treatments
- HLTWHS004 Manage work health and safety
Additionally, to assist students in the establishment and operation of their own business, the following units have been included :
- BSBSMB403 Market the small business
- BSBSMB404 Undertake small business planning
- BSBSMB405 Monitor and manage small business operations
The student will get a good balance of theoretical and practical learning experiences, along with undertaking work placement in a supervised massage clinic.